Thursday, December 1, 2011

Toy Story

Objective:  Students will be able to read a children's story with expression.

Today we had some fun with the free Toy Story app.  Using the Apple VGA adapter, I hooked up my iPad to the LCD projector and we all watched and listened to the interactive book, Toy Story.  I told students they would be expected to read it aloud themselves next so they needed to pay close attention to the narrator and how he showed expression with his reading voice.
Afterwards students were paired up with an iPad and assigned two pages to practice reading aloud.  I showed them how to use the recording option within the book so that they could listen to their own recording.  Some of the students came up to me fairly quickly telling me they were ready, but when I reminded them that we would all be reading aloud, they quickly said, "Oh, no, I'm not ready.  I'll practice more."  I overheard one boy tell another, "You need more expression."
When they were all done, we read the book aloud as we watched it, taking turns to read all the pages.  Even before we started the first boy who was to read, stood up and said, "We should stand," so all students stood to read as their turn came and tried to show expression in their reading.  When we were done, one of the students said, "I didn't do very well.  Can I do it again?"  We went back to his part, he stood, and read it again doing a much better job.  I was thrilled that he took the initiative to critique himself and publicly reread and improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment