Sunday, January 8, 2012

Creating an ePub

I spent most of today getting ready for a presentation I'm giving at an iPad symposium on Wednesday.  By "most of the day" I mean all the time that I wasn't being distracted by something else on the Internet.  I decided to create an ePub out of this blog so that I could share it with people who come to my presentation.  I'd never created an ePub, but I didn't think it would take long using Apple's iWorks Pages program since I already had written the blog.  Yes, I was wrong....I can hear people snickering.  It did take several hours and many exports to actually produce an ePub that looks somewhat how I wanted it to look.  It was mostly a matter of getting the photos to place properly within the text and getting chapters to begin at the beginning of pages.
For those of you who aren't sure of what an ePub is, it's an electronic publication that can be read on iPads, Nooks, and other e-book readers.  At this point, you can use Pages on a Mac to create one and then drop it into your iTunes account.  When you sync your iPhone or iPad, the book goes into your iBook app. I was hoping to use it with my students, but unfortunately the Pages app for the iPad doesn't yet create ePubs so I'm going to check out an app I downloaded the other day called Book Creator.  I actually think Book Creator will be easier and more manageable for my students anyway.  I'll let you know how it works.

2 comments:

  1. G-mid you haven't already, check out voice thread.
    Your kids could publish stories they'd written, and voice thread lets them read their story and have their own followers. Pretty cool.
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristin. I have used VoiceThread with some of my other students when they've reviewed books. It's a good tool.

    ReplyDelete